Thursday, June 8, 2023

double digits

We started Brooke's birthday with breakfast in bed! Colby wrote her a sweet note about how he would be miserable without her, then he had the idea of bringing her a crown and royal scepter (a pink wand he made her two years ago for Christmas) on a pillow.  Birthdays are the best!!  
We also called Nay Nay and Papa first thing in the morning so they could wish Brookie a happy birthday.  They gave her permission to open the gift they sent, and she was thrilled with the American Girl doll bed. 
I can't believe that we have a TEN year old!  Each year, I look back at old pictures and swoon over their younger cuteness and am always in denial about how fast the years are passing.
Our plan for the day was to go bowling, browse Barnes and Noble, take Brooke to get her ears pierced (her main birthday request), then have dinner as a family. On the way to the bowling alley, we stopped at Target to order her party cupcakes and we left with a cookie sandwich for my girl. 
She wore her birthday crown and chose "Birthday Girl" as her screen name...
At Barnes and Noble, Brooke spent every last dollar she had and was VERY excited about her selections. 
But she was MOST excited about going to get her ears pierced once Kevin was off work. She's wanted to do this for a few years now, but the nerves had kept her from doing it.  Something about turning 10 made her feel extra brave, I guess :) I did lots of research and decided that Rowan was the best location, so we headed up to Southlake. 
I had to get a few pics before the big milestone...
I could tell that she was nervous as she picked out the earrings, but I was really hoping that it would be a good experience for her. 
The nurse marked her ears and allowed Kevin and I to inspect the pen markings to make sure we agreed with the placement. Talk about a lot of pressure!  That was one of the main things I was worried about because I didn't want them to be uneven or too close to her head.
We both went back and forth about the placement, and eventually had the nurse move the marks a little bit.
Then it was time for the piercings!
She was so brave and was GLOWING when it was all done. 
My darling girl is gorgeous!!  (She also started Invisalign earlier in the week, so she's looking extra grown up to me.)
I'm sure I'll say this every year, but I just can't believe that she's already 10 years old. We are so proud of the incredible young woman she is.
And since my girl loves Tropical Smoothie Cafe, we headed there for dinner and smoothies. 
As we drove home, her cousins called to wish her a happy birthday.  She had my phone in the back seat, so I found these selfies later than night.  She was clearly excited!!
She had a few more presents to open as soon as we made it home..
It was a great day to celebrate the birth of the girl that made me a mama!  She is literal sunshine and I am so grateful that she's mine (and Kevin's).

No comments:

Post a Comment