Saturday, August 20, 2022

michael and kerra's wedding

Michael and Kerra have been taking lessons from the missionaries for nearly a year and finally made the commitment to get baptized.  Since I attend the weekly "Missionary Huddle" meetings, I have been very involved in the progress of their lessons.  But there was one tiny problem!  They needed to get married first.  
They've been together for a long time but never married, so this was just the push they needed.  On our missionary call, someone from Elder's Quorum asked if I could help them plan a little reception after their marriage ceremony in the chapel.  Kerra wanted it to be special, which I totally understood, but I only had one week to plan something so it felt kind of stressful! I called Michael and Kerra to coordinate, and ended up going over to their apartment to make a plan.  They wanted the decorations to be navy and gold, and by some miracle, Shawna (the RS President) had access to chair covers and gold sashes from when she was in charge of the band banquets at the high school.  We planned to use those on all the chairs and use extra sashes for the centerpieces. Since I have lots of topiaries, I asked Kerra what she thought about using those for each table.  She loved the idea, so I figured it would all come together nicely. 

The ward was going to provide desserts and appetizers, so we had a game plan.  At the end of our meeting, they asked if I could give them a ride to the courthouse to get their marriage license.  Thankfully the missionaries had given me a heads up that they were going to ask me, and since the kids were newly back in school, it all worked out. 
The decorations...
My kids were especially helpful as we set-up on Friday night.  Brooke was in charge of ironing all the tablecloths and about two tables in she commented, "You should let me iron more often!"  The enthusiasm didn't last, but she still completed her task.  Then trying to teach the Elders how to tie the gold sashes on each chair was quite entertaining, but thankfully a few other people showed up to help us decorate.

Michael and Kerra's daughter also brought several centerpieces that we tried to incorporate. Kerra didn't love those as much, but was trying not to hurt her daughter's feelings.  I didn't want to get in the middle, so I just did my best to make it all flow :)
Kerra decorated the table for her and Michael. It definitely wasn't my style with the lava lamp, but she loved it!
I was so grateful for my kids and all they help they gave me! 
Outside the chapel...
I worried about having enough food, but the ward members brought plenty and their presentation was totally perfect.  Sister Longoria did the most beautiful fruit charcuterie boards!
Kerra was pretty nervous about the whole thing, but Bishop Danielson did such a beautiful job going over everything with her and the actual ceremony was heartfelt and sincere.
Kerra's daughters were super late to the church, but I was glad they finally made it. The younger daughter, Tiarra, was especially touched during the wedding ceremony. I think the girls are from a previous relationship and I think the young man is Michael and Kerra's son, but I never asked specifics. 
Stacie and Shawn Elliott have been so kind and welcoming to Michael and Kerra. 
Angel has also been a great friend to them and they've kinda bonded over their conversation journeys.  I was pretty mad that I never got a picture with Michael and Kerra, but I was super busy with the food and trying to get pictures of them and their guests. 
Overall, I think we pulled together a pretty nice reception.  And the most important part was the wedding ceremony which also allowed them to move forward with their baptism the very next weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment