Tuesday, October 5, 2010

bilingual by tomorrow

I have some good news!! I finally started my job yesterday after 6 weeks of waiting. The bad news is that they thought I was a bilingual therapist :( I am attempting to channel all those Spanish skills I had once upon a time so that I can fulfill my role as bilingual speech therapist.

I am on a Pre-K Diagnostic team that does assessments for kids 3-5 that have been referred for an evaluation. They are also seen by a social worker and a psychologist. All others members of the team are fluent in Spanish, which is not a huge surprise to me since I do live in Miami. When I first arrived we sat around and talked about how we are going to make this work since I am lacking in the bilingual department. I felt pretty awesome since I was only half solving their problem of being without a speech therapist. Fortunately, they were assessing a child in English that day, so I was in luck, kind of...I would bet my life that the child has severe ADHD. Luckily, I was able to assess him first, before he lost all wits.

Today I went to work with a therapist in a different region and actually administered one of the tests in Spanish. That was interesting. As a side note, my Dad told me last night that it was probably about time that I became bilingual due to my current location and that I should set aside a few days a week where Kevin and I only speak Spanish to one another. That could possibly be a disaster, but hey I guess it is worth a try. It just might be kinda quiet around our place...and I might have to revert to sign language.

So, I am going to work tomorrow in my current position, but that position might be changing, hahaha. I will keep you posted.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. never mind, deleting my old comment.

    congrats on starting your job! i am excited for you. i still tell the ledasha story whenever i can. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :) I am glad you tell that story. I still laugh when I think about it.

    I laughed at your other comment as well. Hopefully things pan out according to plan :) Hope you guys are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so funny! I cannot believe that job, leaving you wondering for so long and then thinking you spoke Spanish, I mean really?? You are gonna learn fast, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Katie, how is your Spanish coming along??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I need to update the blog because I am actually in the schools now so I am not required to speak Spanish. It is crazy busy because I am at two schools, but the kids are a lot of fun. How are you?

    ReplyDelete