Tuesday, December 19, 2023

the polar express and a class party

This year, the principal planned a school-wide Polar Express Day before winter break and the teachers and parents went all out!  Every wall of every hallway was covered in themed paper and I was able to see it all on the day of the class party! I can't even fathom how much paper they needed to accomplish their vision, but it was truly incredible.  They even had parent volunteers as train conductors, Santa, and Buddy the Elf.  
Ms. Stevens posted some pictures on their class Instagram page...
As the designated room representative, I was responsible for planning the class party, and I think it was a success.  It's always kind of awkward having the parents stand around the room while I'm trying to keep everyone entertained and semi-focused on the activities and games, but Colby said it was a lot of fun, so I was happy.  (The PTA is pretty particular about party specifics because the teachers want all the grade-level parties to be similar, but that kind of takes the fun out of planning the party with your own ideas.)  

But I loved the cute snowman plates I found on Amazon, and they went perfectly with the 'Winter" theme we were given. 
We ate food, colored wooden ornaments, played minute-to-win-it style games, and ended the party with a book exchange led by Ms. Stevens.
She read a story to the kids and each time the word "right" or "left" was read, the children would pass their wrapped book to the right or the left.  Colby didn't love the book he ended up with, but it was a fun way to do the book exchange. 
Colby and I were both excited for the break to begin, so I checked him out of school as soon as we were all cleaned up from the party!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment